What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Movie Night: ***Matchstick Men, **^Howls Moving Castle, ***^Water for Elephants

Matchstick Men we watched through Netflix DVD.  This is a Nicholas Cage movie.  It is a con man movie, and has the twist at the end, that although not turning out the way you think, in the end turns out well.  Nicholas Cage's character has a nervous disorder, as a result of his business.  In the end he discovers he cannot be a con man and feel good about himself.  I think you have to like the genre to enjoy this movie.

Howls Moving Castle.  This is available through Instant Netflix.  It is Japanese Animie.  The story is somewhat strange, but it does portray a love story.  I have always wonder about Japanese animation and the way the add significant highlights to the eyes.  This animation has that characteristic.  The story is of a woman who is cursed with being old, and how she overcomes this curse.  This movie I don't think will appeal to those except those who like anything animated.

Water for Elephants we watched through Netflix DVD. This is a classic circus film, but of a minor circus struggling to keep going. It has Reese Witherspoon, the star of the circus who performs with an elephant, and Robert Pattinson, from the Twilight series and the company veterinarian .  They have a love affair, even though Witherspoon is married.  Her husband is the antagonist who abuses the animals, has circus performers or staff thrown off the train when he can't pay them.  Sometimes this results in death.  The climax is when some who have been thrown off, catch up with the circus and let the animals out.  The elephant ends up killing the circus boss, who is killing his wife.  This leaves his wife free to marry and the run of to Ringling Brothers and raise a family.  This movie doe have general appeal I I mildly recommend it.

1 comment: