What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ace Train 15: Poor VTA Service

I don't like to talk negative about things, but the VTA (Valley Transportation Authority runs the Light Rail and the buses in Santa Clara County) is getting on my nerves.  When I started the connection between the light rail and the bus 25 worked.  But then they changed the Light Rail schedule.  They now have the light rail, and the bus 25 arriving at the exact same time at the connection I use to make (Fruitdale and the Light Rail.)  It is impossible to get from the Light Rail to the bus stop in 0 seconds, and so I always miss the bus. Besides the bus IS usually early as the driver is more interested in a longer break than picking people up.  (At least it seems that way to me.) The next bus is always late as it is the bus that goes through to De Anza, and they have all the college kids on the bus in addition to the people the earlier bus doesn't pick up.  The connection worked for a while, as there was a driver who would try to accommodate people.  Then the drivers changed, and now it doesn't work at all.  I called to complain after watching the bus drive by and just ignore us (me and other worker at the hospital.) The phone operator would just say, "I wouldn't make that connection."  I guess they thought I should get up a couple hours earlier to take an earlier train from Manteca.  I was lucky to find another connection that works better, by staying on the Light Rail another stop, and taking the bus going up and down Bascom.

However my complaints against VTA go deeper.  I left a bag on the Light Rail.  I realized it within a couple minutes after getting off, but couldn't catch the Light Rail at the next station.  So I called the VTA, to see if I could recover the bag, but also so they knew it was a bag of pillows and not anything to worry about.  The operator was nice.  She called the Light Rail operator and came back on the line and said he had the bag.  Did I want to meet the Light Rail on its return trip or get the bag at lost-and-found.  I had to catch the train so chose to get the bag at lost-and-found.  My mistake.  That was December 29.  I called the next day, and they said it takes longer to get there.  I called the next week, and every couple of days after.  No bag.  They now say they never got the bag, and it is never coming.  There was a gift card to Target in the bag.  I guess the temptation was too great.  I knew when I left the bag, my chances of recovery were slim.  It's just there was that ray of hope, when the VTA phone operator told me they had the bag.  It just doesn't go with the current message, they never had the bag.  Of course they won't let you go through the lost-and-found stuff yourself, so you are left to their whims.

If there were another option, I would be using it.  VTA is a government sponsored monopoly.  They do not have to provide good service, or even be accountable.  So the bottom line, is I continue to use their service, knowing that the service is not good, but for the most part it gets me to and from the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment