What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Book Review: ***Brother Brigham's Gold (To mmboe)

This book is an enjoyable read, and I must admit it kept me interested enough that I was through is in only three days.  I found the book amongst Sheri's collection of books.  I am sure it is not available in any library close to Manteca.  It was published in 1984.

The adventure and excitement is there, and keeps you guessing as to what is going to happen next.  And the theme is one I had heard about many times before, the lost gold mines in the Uintah Mountains known either as the Rhoades Mine, or the Brigham Mine or the lost Spanish mines.  Many are the legends with regards to this mine, and Thomas Rhoades (who had found plenty of gold in California before turning his back on California and settling with the Saints in Utah, who had special permission to extract gold by the Indians provided he not let anyone know where the mine was located.  Later this privilege was extended to his son, Caleb Rhoades.  For a sample of the legends you can check this website http://www.angelfire.com/trek/forthetruth/uintatreasure.html 
Part of the Matt Warner includes his shooting and killing people who were following his partner up Dry Creek Canyon, outside of Vernal, as they were looking for this very mine.  The mine seems to be surrounded by death and hardship.  You can read this story here:
http://www.prospector-utah.com/matt.htm

The story of the lost gold mines has intrigued me, not that I would want to go looking for gold in those mountains.  But I have been through them several times, and have seen evidence of old mines.  It is a fascinating story that just doesn't go away.

As for the book, it combines the persecution of polygamous families at this time, with the legend of the mines.  It has a young man who found some gold while herding sheep at its center.  The gold is used to bail his father, in jail as a result of being a polygamous.  However word of the find attracts a group of outlaws who are intent on forcing the young man to lead them to the gold.  The book also adds a love story, and somehow the girl gets to the mine as well (that is the part of the story that went a bit too far.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment