What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Life in Manteca 1

We have now been in Manteca three weeks, and I personally am finding the life her very relaxing.  We of course are still finding our way around.

Caleb and I went home teaching, visiting two of three families before it became too late.  It gave us a change to pick the families we visit for information about the area.  Turns out both families are long time residents of the area.  From an inactive brother we got a lesson on the early history of the branch in Manteca.  Seems when his family moved into the area some 50 years ago the branch was meeting in a rented upstairs office space.  It has changed considerable since then as their is a stake with two large buildings and four wards.  The stake celebrated its 30 year anniversary just after we moved here, but I missed getting any notice so missed the event. 

***^ Bass Pro Shop is a world to itself.  I don't know if I will buy anything there soon, but I would like to get a canoe, someday.  Their display of fish is incredible.  There is a large tank with a water fall.  In the ank are big fresh water fish, catfish, bass trout, etc.  There are also numerable stuffed animals through the store.  Tony enjoyed feeling the fur.  It's fun having such a store close by, and I will probably visit frequently.

**^  J.C. Penny is a store I have also visited frequently, looking at home items.  I have looked at bar stools and rus, but still haven't felt moved to buy anything there.

***** Home Goods is a different story however.  There is a Home Goods in Stockton, and also one in Mountain View.  Sheri and I visited the store in Stockton.  It is impossible to go there without finding some home decor item.  I got a decorative ball, some pictures and Sheri got some bathroom jars and a decorative goose.  We also got a couple light houses for the family room.

There is a movie theater **** Markeplace Stadium 10 in town that only charges $3.  I took Tony to "Yogi Bear."  Sheri and I went to "Unknown."  It is clean, and they have good snacks; unlike other discount theaters where I have been.  Tony had candy and Sheri popcorn.

We have visited numerous restaurants in town.  *** Las Palmas for our Friday date (but we went on Thursday as I had off for Cesar Chavez Day.  This was a traditional Mexican restaurant.  Their Salsa for the chips and salsa was probably the best I have ever tasted.  The ambience had somehting to be desired.  Much of the floor had been taken up and the concrete left bare.  Charity didn't care for her fajitas.  My tamal and enchilada were nice.  Their Spanish rice was good, as were the beans. 

There are three **** McDonalds in town.  These of course are consistent in their food with the franchise throughout the state.  A couple things should be noted about McDonalds in Manteca.  On West Yosemite is a McDonalds with a very large play place.  It has a couple different climbing areas and it has computer games.  It also has air hockey but this was not working.  The McDonalds on East Yosemite (Yosemite and Union) has a very large lobby.  It is a great place to sit and talk as they stay open late, at least on Fridays.

1 comment:

  1. sounds great Billy! so glad you are all settling into your new home, and into a new community! keep us posted and keep on enjoying your assimilation.

    ReplyDelete