What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Caleb and the Family History Library

http://billywardlegen.blogspot.com/
http://ilovelibraries.org/loveyourlibrary/safeway/familytree.cfm



I have started visiting the Family History Library in Santa Clara over the past couple months, and over the past couple weeks I have taken Caleb with me a couple of times.  We are looking at microfilm, and not always having the greatest of luck.  Today we did have some success, and I will write about that in my genealogy blog.  But for this blog let me stay on task.
Caleb likes to crank the handle of the microfilm machine, and we both enjoy looking at old names, trying to find relatives.  I am looking for baptism dates which will help me tell the story of my great great grandfather.

Caleb mentioned to me that the back of the Toasted Oats Box talks about the family history library, and when we got home he pulled it out to show it to me.  And sure enough it does.  "Founded in 1894 the Family History Library is the largest library of its kind in the world, with 2.4 million rolls of microfilmed genealogical records.  Caleb mentioned we were looking at one of those rolls today, which we were, as I had requested it from Salt Lake and was looking at it in Santa Clara.  We looked at a different roll last week.  I just pay the cost of shipping.  Pretty cool.  Today I was actually looking at records of the family of a son of Isaac's half brother.  Now that is cool.  I have posted his picture before, Thomas Morton.

No comments:

Post a Comment