What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Motivational Movie: ***^Invictus

This movie released 2009 and is now on DVD.  I am watching it courtesy of Netflix.  It stars Matt Damon and Morgan Freemon and is directed by Clint Eastwood.  This movie tells of the relationship between Nelson Mandela and Francois Pienarr, Captain of the South African rugby team.  It talks about overcoming odds, and doing better than you can do.  It is a study of what inspires us and motivates us.

I think the best part of the movie was the Invictus poem, written  by William Ernest Henley who had tuberculosis in his leg, and his leg amputated:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.


It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


The conclusion of the movie, with Nelson giving the Cup to Francois, is a true story, and is considered one of the most inspiring sports scenes to be portrayed on British  television.  That this country was able to pull itself out of apartheid, and then jointly support their team to the World Cup is incredible.  I hope to remember the line, "I am the master of my fate:  I am the captain of my soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment