What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Missionary Son

Last night Russel M Nelson, in his conference address, asked for all the missionaries to stand up.  In the chapel where I and Caleb were watching three missionaries stood up.  In the Conference Center, the entire choir stood up as they were a priesthood choir from the MTC.  I couldn't help but wonder if my son, Jeremy, was standing in a chapel in Colorado where he is serving a mission.  I had a twinge of pride.  (After President Uchtdorf's speech I must be wary of pride, but he said it was OK with regards to your children.) I am grateful Jeremy decided to go on a mission, and I am grateful that he was worthy to go. You can read some about his mission at his Yahoo Group.
  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/group.php?gid=68468431690

Elder Russel quoted Paul's letter to Timothy, "Be Thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."  From what I can gather from Jeremy's letters, he has been an example of this traits.  I know he has lived a life of service and hard work.  He has hauled hay, and he has tracted.
He is one of over 52,000 missionaries in 340 missions world wide.  He is now preparing to return to us in November.  It will be a happy day to meet him.  But for him I know it will be bitter sweet.  He loves his mission.
"Their purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored Gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end."  These words from Elder Russel tell us what missionaries do. What joy comes from serving the Lord in this way.  Elder Russel observed the missionaries in his family--their "growth in wisdom, maturity in judgment and flowering in faith."  Through his letters, I wave witnessed growth in Jeremy. Here is a portion of his testimony from a recent letter:
I know that the Lord's hand is definitely in this work. He is engaged more in our lives than we would ever imagine. My testimony of that 2 years ago was not anywhere near to what it is now, but I have no doubt that it's true. God really knows us and watches us and simply put supports us with everything. Our lives are intricately designed to mold us into our divine potential. We are capable of far more than we give ourselves credit, but only if we humble ourselves and have faith in God. Then God takes us in our weakness and makes our weakness strength. With the strength of God we can do all things.

Jeremy is a special son.  We miss him, but are proud of his service, and are anxiously awaiting his return.
Elder Russel suggested a link for those who might be interested in reading stories from members of the church.  I have enjoyed this particular link and it has helped increase my faith, as I hear the stories of others.  I know God lives, and his Gospel has been reestablished upon the earth.
http://mormon.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment