What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Movie Review: ***Northanger Abbey

This is the 2007 made for TV movie starring Felicity Jones and JJ Feilds.  The story is based on a young woman, Catherine Morland, from middle class society, visiting Bath with a wealthy couple, and there being thrust into higher society.  She has two friends, the unscrupulous  John Thorpe, who is devious in his pursuit, and the handsome Henry Tilney.  Catherine Morland is taken by gothic novels, and imagines the worse in most situations.  She is invited to visit Northanger Abbey, the home of the Tilneys,  as Mr. Tilney believes her to be wealthy.  She unwittingly expresses her theory that there may have been foul play in the death of Mrs Tilney some years previous.  This angers Henry.  Shortly after she is unexpectedly sent home, and she figures Henry is mad at her for her thoughts.  However she discovers this is not the case, he loves her, and she was sent out cruelly by Henry's father because of her economic status.

This movie is fine, but the declaration of love happens so quickly it made my head spin.  It didn't seem as well developed as I expect from a Jane Austen program.

No comments:

Post a Comment