What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

"I am a Child of God" Soothing Babies

Tony, who came to us as a baby, and is now almost four
Doing foster care the past four plus years, and during that time mostly fostering babies and toddlers, (32 foster children and 25 under three) I am an expert at what songs are most soothing for young ones.  The best song of all is "I am a Child of God."  My daughter Natalia actually discovered this with the two-year-old twins who were with us several years back.

We took them on a long trip to Arkansas.  As such the were confined to their car seats for extended periods of time.  They could not last the entire song, when they were tired, without being asleep at the end.  When they were not asleep i would at least calm them down.

I am a child of God,
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows to late.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will
I'll live with him once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

This version adds the fourth verse.  This verse is not in the hymn book as it was added after the book was published.  Sometimes the fourth verse is needed to get a  sleeping.  This song hasn't worked as well with all of our children to get them to sleep, but it always works to calm them down.

It works better than any other song, "Rock-a-bye Baby," "Hush Thee my Babe," (a song I wrote) "Lullaby and Good Night" and "Go to Sleep" all seem to pale in comparison.  "I am a Child of God" seems to stand alone.

I ask myself, "Why is this song so effective, is it the melody or the lyrics?"  The melody draws attention, but I think the spirit of the song emanating from the message, touches little souls who have only recently left Heavenly Father's presence.  The spirit of the message, coming from the singer, emanates the little spirits, who are sometimes so close to the veil having just recently left the Spirit World.

No comments:

Post a Comment