What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Coming to Christ: Book of Mormon study 2b, The Tender Mercies of the Lord

I am studying the first five chapters of First Nephi.  The scripture that stood out to me this time reading the book is 1 Nephi: 20: And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had acast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also bsought his life, that they might take it away. But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender cmercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of ddeliverance.

I asked this question for family home evening, "What are the tender mercies of God?"  The responses focused on the blessing we receive in our lives, help with finding money in the glove box when needed, help with a problem, help with financial burdens.  But then the conversation became deeper.  The ability to keep our faith, and being able to take advantage of God's atonement to heal our wounded hearts.  Also the ability of God's atonement to pay the price for our sins, our faults.

David Bednar talked of tender mercies in a conference address. Part of his talk is included in the blog before this one. He said:  Since last October I have reflected repeatedly upon the phrase “the tender mercies of the Lord.” Through personal study, observation, pondering, and prayer, I believe I have come to better understand that the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ. Truly, the Lord suits “his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men” (D&C 46:15).

Another scripture that talks of these tender mercies is Moroni 10:3: Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how amerciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and bponder it in your chearts.

I find it interesting to note the difference between Nephi and his brothers Laman and Lemuel.  While Nephi was focused on the tender mercies of God, and pondering how merciful God had been to the children of men, Laman and Lemuel were focused on their "visionary father."  Laman and Lemuel became bitter, and Nephi kept his attitude and remained close to the Lord.

We see the same thing today--those who become bitter, often focusing on minor things. And those who maintain their faith through trials.  May we stay focused on our faith, and avoid the bitter in our lives, that we may partake of the Lord's tender mercies.

A Janice Kapp Perr song seems to summatize this topic.  It is copyrighted so I am enclosing the link:
http://lds.org/Static%20Files/PDF/Magazines/NewEra/English/2007/NE_2007_04_05___00644_000_005.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment