What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Coming Closer to Jesus Christ: Book of Mormon study 1b; Keystone of our Religion.


Last year I was determined to write a series of articles on the Book of Mormon, but I got side tracked into other study.  This year I am back to it.  I am going to be studying the Book of Mormon using the “Seminary Student Study Guide” [SSSG] as well as the “Institute Student Manual” [ISM] and also referring from time to time to “Preach My Gospel.”  [PMG]  I hope to be blogging on a weekly basis about what I have been studying and the notes I have taken.  There is a previous blog (see 6/20/10) dealing with the introduction to the Book of Mormon, so this is 1b.

I wanted to focus on The Book of Mormon as the keystone of our religion.  This theme is found on page 7-8 of the Institute Manuel, page 9 of the seminary manual and page 103-105 of “Preach My Gospel.”

President Ezra Taft Benson explained that a keystone is the central stone in an arch that holds the other stones together.  In Benecia there are two buildings which make up the old arsenal powder magazines.  These buildings are made of stone blocks.  They are built in such a way that the ceiling comes to a series keystones at the middle of the building, which holds the rest of the blocks up.  There are actually several keystones in each building which hold up different parts of the building.  It is incredible architecture.  Apparently the posts were held up with sand until the  keystones were placed which locked the other stones in place.


President Benson described three ways in which the Book of Mormon is our keystone:  “It is the keystone in our witness of Christ.  It is the keystone of our doctrine.  It is the keystone of testimony.”  (ISM p 7)

The Book of Mormon is another witness of Christ.   It provides a second witness of the divinity of the mission of Jesus Christ.  He is the Son of God.  He was born in the meridian of time.  He took upon Himself the cost of our iniquities and out sins.  He has paid the price for all of us in front of the Father, for we all fall short.  He who studies the Book of Mormon with a sincere heart, will come away with a more firm testimony of Jesus Christ.  (See PMG p 105 for scripture chain.)

The Book of Mormon is the keystone of our doctrine.  The Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the gospel. (D&C 20:9)  Among other things it teaches of the restoration of the gospel, the plan of salvation, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the commandments, laws and ordinances.  It teaches of the need of a Savior, and that one has been provided.  It teaches of baptism and repentance.  The words of the Book of Mormon teaches through poetry, discourse, recitation of history, and story telling.

The Book of Mormon is the keystone of testimony.  If the Book of Mormon is true, then Joseph Smith indeed was a prophet of God.  He was given priesthood keys, as he said, and the Gospel has been restored in our day.  From a testimony of the Book of Mormon we can conclude that we have a living prophet today.  However if the Book of Mormon be not true, then the arch that is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints crumbles. 

It is my testimony that the Book of Mormon is true.  By reading it we avoid bitterness, doubt and sin.  Reading we become better people.  The family of Marion G. Romney worried that when he studied law he may loss his way.  We kept his course set, by reading from the Book of Mormon a half hour each day.  In doing so he was able to keep close to the Spirit.   (See ISM p 8.)  And so I make a commitment to myself to read the Book of Mormon ten minutes a day.  I am committed to have a weekly blog with regards to the Book of Mormon, following generally the seminary and institute study manuals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment