What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Friday, April 13, 2012

What a Waste: Bascom Library and Community Center

The city of San Jose has made several new libraries.  I am not sure how they funded them, but I do know they spent millions of dollars, if not billions.  Over the past eight years they have remodeled or constructed 18 libraries with over 450,000 square feet.  The only problem, is now as they finish each library, it lies vacant as there are not funds to run them.  Reminds me of Argentina after Peron.  Peron had funded multiple public works, but then there was too much government debt, and not enough money to run them.  I recall seeing empty high-rise hospitals, statues of government excess.  The times had changed, after the country had been run into debt.

I think these constructions point to a similar process in our country, excessive debt, but not enough staying power.  These libraries are monuments to this governmental process--bonds, debt, interest. Four billion in national debt in a little over three years.  Everybody wants some Obama money. 




These are pictures of the Bascom Library, a block from my work, completed, yet not opened.  It includes a gym and recreation center.

3 comments:

  1. That's shame of San Jose, a victim of too good retirement benefits that eating most of tax revenues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand it is scheduled to open this year.

    ReplyDelete