What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Life in Manteca 41: Crystal Apple Awards

Sheri and I had a very enjoyable evening.  Miranda and Tony also went with, as we attended the Crystal Apple Awards at the stake center.  Caleb sang in the youth choir.  This was a program for the students to honor their teachers.  There were nine teachers honored with the award.  One from each of the high schools in our stake, Tracy and Manteca. The young people who nominated their teacher presented the award.  They would explain why they had nominated each person.  The responses included many things; such as, "He listened to me," "She pushed me," "He was my mother's teacher," "He taught me how to read," "He remembers everybody," "He mad math interesting," "I could  tell he cared."  The awards included special education teacher, administrator, music and band teachers, coaches, and math teachers.  One of the special moments of the evening was a young man with developmental delay, expressing his love for his teacher.
 
The awards went to:

Matt Soeth         Kimball High School
Frederick Russell    West High School
Greg Smith        Tracy High School
Anne Talcott        East Union High School
Benny Dini        East Union High School
Anthony Dahl        Manteca High School
Greg Leland        Sierra High School
Jim Tornell        Ripon High School
Nora Bauer        Delta Charter High School

But the evening was more than just the awards.  There was a youth choir which did a great job.  They sang "Arise" and we Believe."  All the youth sand the "EFY Medley" which was a favorite.  Caleb conducted the men.  Nicole England student valedictorian at one of the high schools this year, talked about gratitude.  President Crockett talked about education, and striving for perfection, for in doing this we achieve excellence.

I had thought this was an annual event, but discovered this is the first.  It was the inspiration of President Maxfield with the help of Kade Peterson administering, and Ruth Christensen conducting the choir with a youth, Nathan VanKatwyk playing piano.

This was a special evening, with a great spirit of appreciation.  After the medley "As Sisters in Zion" and "We are as the Army of Helaman" a special spirit was felt, followed by inspired remarks from our stake president.  I vote it become and annual event.

No comments:

Post a Comment