What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Book Review: "To Whom it may Concern" William O. Ashton

This book I borrowed from the Stevens Creek Ward Library, and I decided to read it before taking it back.  Marvin O. Ashton was the father of Marvin J. Ashton.  H married a Jeremy making him my grandmother's cousin-in-law, and Marvin J. Ashton my mom's second cousin.  Marvin O. Ashton was presiding bishop of the church for many years.  My mother tells the story of his spending time with the family in Idaho Falls when he was there for a dedication.  He later mailed two-person piano music to my mom and her twin as they had played for him on the piano while he was there.  He may have also helped my grandparents on their way to reactivation and going through the temple.

The book is a collection of stories, ninety of them, and then other stories and lessons to tell the story.  A couple of them stood out.  One story is entitled python eggs.  He tells how in India, the native country of the pythons it is important to seek out python eggs and smash them with your heel before they hatch.  In this way they could prevent the dead venomous snake from being born.  He explained this further telling about a young man who absolutely refused a drink with his friends, even when they tried to force them.  This young man told a story about someone who had given in to that first drink, eventually became an alcoholic, and in a drunken stupor had forced his wife and baby out on a cold winter night.  When he realized what he had done the next morning he came to his senses, and found his wife dead, her body wrapped around the baby to keep him warm.  The young man said he had been that baby.  It is best o smash the python eggs before they hatch.

He referred to "Stop, Look and Listen several times.  I like this statement as I use to sing this song to the kids growing up.  He has another chapter called "Constant Aim" about a man new to farming.  He was trying to plow a field, and someone told him to keep his aim towards a mark, like a stone, at the other end of the field.  However he pigged a pig rather than a stone, and the pig kept moving.  As a result his plowing job was all over the place. 

Many chapters are time sensitive and geared to bishops.  It was written right after WWII.  By today's sensitivities we might refer to his attitude as being racist in light of comments about "Israelitish" people and "colored" people.  It was a different time then.

He also told the story "I can sleep when the Wind Blows."  This story is about the man hired after saying this sentence, and then when the big storm came he slept through it.  The farmer was disappointed, but then discovered the hand could actually sleep because he had already prepared everything for the storm. 

This book was an enjoyable read.  Now I just have to get the book back to Cupertino.

No comments:

Post a Comment