What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Staying Spiritually In Tune

Sometimes in sacrament meeting you hear a concept you want to remember.  And that is what happened today.  Lisa Ure was the speaker.  It is not fair to put a full talk into a couple of paragraphs, but then I am not wanting to restate the whole talk, but just this one concept.
The topic was coming unto Christ by staying spiritually in tune.  Lisa compared this to breathing.  When we breathe we take in oxygen, which goes to every cell of our body.  We also breathe out, expelling carbon dioxide. The average person can hold their breath approximately 30 to 90 seconds.  After that our lower brain will cause the person to pass out.
When we talk about spirituality, breathing oxygen in, can be compared to feasting on the words of God.  So the question remains spiritually what do we give up.  The answer is our own carnal nature.  So we take God's word in, and put off the carnal or natural man. 
It seems Nephi talked about this considerable.  God's arm is always extended, but our own pride (pride in our mental, intellectual or physical abilities) keeps us from realizing our dependence on God's sustaining arm.
I think this is a lesson worth remembering, as I struggle with pride I hope I can remember what it takes to remain spiritually in tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment