What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Racket Sports Make You Smart

I attended the Cupertino High School Winter sports awards with Charity after her Senior year of gymnastics.  She was captain of the gymnastics team that had gone to the CCS (for those outside of California that is like gong to State) Championships for two years in a row, after not having qualified for a couple of decades.  They were not he best team at CCS, but they were there.
Charity was never a club gymnast, and schools like Saint Francis which could field entire squads, and alternates with club gymnast would compete for the championship.  Charity would practice during the gymnastics season with the other girls, and she improved from year to year.  But a superstar she was not.  She did have fun.
I was proud of Charity and her accomplishments.  She had been Captain of the varsity for two years, and the JV team for one year.  At the ceremony they would present each team, and then they would honor the scholar athletes.
Some of the gymnasts were also scholar athletes.  However when the badminton team was presented, a very large squad at Cupertino High School, it seems they were all student scholars.  Mighty impressive.  The only thing that was just as equally impressive was the tennis team.
After seeing so many scholars on both the badminton and the tennis teams I could only draw one conclusion, racket sports make you smart.  I don't know what it is about swinging a racket at a ball, or a birdie that increases the brain's capability.  There was no other way to explain it.
I have mentioned this to Miranda, telling her she should get into racket sports as her GPA would increase.  She was come up with other excuses.  For example a high percentage of students participating in racket sports are Asian. However the school were my children attend has a high percentage of Asian students in all sports, and it didn't help the wrestling team or basketball teams.  I think gyms that stink of sweat, might have the opposite effect, but i have done no personal observation of this.
I went to the local school to hit the tennis ball against the rebounding wall they have there.  Miranda went with me and insisted on having a turn.  I think in that five minutes Miranda increased he brain power more than she has in reading any book, or studying any algebra equation.
Because I saw all the kids, young men and young women, who participated in racket sports, and most if not all were scholar athletes, so I must conclude--RACKET SPORTS MAKE YOU SMART.
http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2010/06/badminton-a-game-of-fitness-and-smartness/

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/31/olympic-sports-ping-pong-badminton-give-brain-boost/

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a valid conclusion to me; at least at Cupertino HS! :)

    ReplyDelete