What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Marine family day

Tony and I went with Mark to the Marine family day.  Tony, as you can see had a great time.  He went down the slide again and again and again.  He had a free run of the place.  When he was running back to the front of the line, it reminded me of the way Mark use to run. He was so funny looking in the boxing helmet and with the big boxing glove I just had to laugh, even if I was by myself.

He played games, balloon throw with Mark (he was good at throwing and not so good at catching, but the tie he did catch the balloon he was proud) and egg relay in which he carried an egg in a spoon, a pinata break, and the dunk tank.  He kept hitting the target, but not hard enough so finally a Marine hit it as the ball did and dunked whoever was on the seat.

The food was really good, much better than the one we went to a couple of years ago.  I especially enjoyed the barbecued ribs. Tony liked the cake and water melon. 

I was thinking about the last Marine day we went to, when Tony was just small, and realized we didn't go last year.  That was because Mark was in Iraq at the time.  Mark had a relatively safe duty, on a base, helping the other Marines with travel arrangements.  There was one week he accompanied a convoy, and that is where things are still at risk.  But he came home after six months of active duty, and has returned to civilian and reserve life.

Mark introduced me to his next in command in Iraq, a father with two small children.  Mark still has a couple years of reserve duty, and that is what I worry about.  It seems Afghanistan is much scarier than Iraq, and that is where the Marines are now.  Mark's chances of going there are pretty good. I am proud he's willing to serve, but I don't like the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment