What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Grand Coulee Dam: Visited Friday March 20, 2020

Grand Coulee dam is not impressive interms of height; but it makes up for it in width.  This dam is blocking the Columbia River and turning the flow of the river into hydroelectric power.  As such it is a massive structure of concrete and creates electricity for over 4 million homes.  Because of the virus scare I had the dam almost to myself.  However the Visitor Center was closed.



Visitor Center


The stats


above the dam


The dam also represents a massive water reclamation project with a series of canals and dams.  Just below the dam is Bank Lake which is also a dam.  Then there are a couple more reservoirs including Pot Hole Reservoir above Othello.  This series of dams and canals is what brought water to the Columbia Basin and prompted my family to move to Othello to raise potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment