What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, January 26, 2015

I am rediscovering Alfajores

An alfajor is two cookies, with a layer of dulce de leche (caramel) in the center, and then bother in chocolate, dark or white.  I have finally broken down and started buying some alfajores from the Chaparal Super Market.  They are very pricey.  When I visited with my friend from Argentina she gave me several Alfajores Havana.  Havana are the best, and most expensive alfajor.  I wanted to scream no, but inside I wasn't going to say no.  The Havana are like eating a bit of heaven.  The Chaparal sometimes has Havana and they are very expensive.  So last time I was at Learning Partnership (Downtown Mental Health) I went to the store with the intention of getting some alfajores.  I couldn't bring myself to buy the Havana, very expensive, so got the cheap ones, Bon O' Bon.  They had a crunchy cookie, more like a cracker.  Tony discovered them, and ate them all up.
So last week I went back to the store to get some more Bon O' Bon for him and some Havana fir me.  They had neither.  However they had a cheap brand, looked like store brand, and I purchased a couple.  Not bad, but seemed to have a Mexican cookie with dulce de leche, and not quite the real thing. 

I also bought a name brand from Argentina, La Recoleta.  They turned out very nice, and have a great deal of dulce de leche between the cookies.  Not quite as heavenly as the Havana, but I can taste Argentina when I eat them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment