What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Health As I See It: Breaking Nicotine Addiction (Pamphlet)


This is a nice pamphlet which gives nine key points and steps to breaking the nicotine habit.
1. Nicotine is a drug.  It effects the central nervous system.
2. Nicotine is very addictive.  It is as addictive as cocaine and heroine.
3.  The secret to quitting is to deal with the addiction.  Withdrawal symptoms start within a few hours of quitting.  Coping with cravings and stress is key to staying smoke free.
4.  Different people need different ways to deal with addiction.  Some can quit cold turkey, for some replacement therapy is key.  Support groups can help.
5.  Nicotine replacement can help.  Nonprescription options include gum, lozenges and patches.  Prescription options include inhalers and nasal sprays.  Using a replacement doubles you chances of staying smoke free.
6.  Other medications can help ease cravings.  These include some antidepressant medications.
7.  Hang in there the first several weeks.  Withdrawing form nicotine you may feel cranky, lightheaded, anxious, sleepy.  You may crave sweets.  These feelings are only temporary.
8.  Other tips including: drink lots of water, exercise, join a support group, avoid coffee, tea and soda.  Acupuncture may also help.
9.  Don't give up.  If you slip don't give up.  Most people need several attempts.

46 million Americans have kicked nicotine addiction.  For more help check out  www.smokefree.gov

No comments:

Post a Comment